Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I'm making a new CD!

After years of pressure from friends to graduate from my dinky myspace blog, I have decided to start a real live actual blog to help document the process of creating a new CD. Especially because I have asked for so much help from you (my fans - hi!) to create the CD, I thought it would be nice of me to give frequent updates about my progress.

So, here's a brief history to bring us up to speed:
- 1977, Tamara Levi is born
- 1977, no one calls her Tamara
- 1981, Mara takes her first piano lesson
- 1991, Mara plays in her first jazz ensemble
- 1995, Mara joins an a cappella group AND sings in her first choir
- 1996, Mara forms Kid Sampson with Jeremy and later with Mike
- 1997, Kid Sampson releases "This Is A Real Album"
- 2000, Kid Sampson releases "Last Chance Soda"
- 2001, Kid Sampson breaks up but in a nice way
- 2003, Mara releases her first solo album, "Life's a Ball"
- 2007, Mara releases "What Are You?"
- 2009, Mara begins fundraising for "We Listen to Fools"

And here we are. We Listen to Fools is the name of the new CD I'm working on. I have 11 completed songs, and 2-3 more to write. I have big plans for this album - I think the songs are really radio-friendly, I'm not planning to print CDs - just T-shirts with album art and then digital music that everyone can download, AND, I'm planning to work with some FABULOUS musicians, engineers, and designers.

1/8/10
Rehearsed with Ashley Baier, the fabulous drummer who will be recording with me! We played through a FEW of the songs more than once, but she's so good, that's all we needed to do. Also, she has a huge house and 2 cats. What's not to love?

1/11/10
I went to Gardentone Studio today and met with Steve Wall. We talked for about 45 minutes and he gave me a small tour of his studio and some of his recordings. It got me SO excited to get back in there!

A note about the funds:
As of 1/13/2010 we have raised $1500 for the production of the album. THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed! If you haven't, but would like to, please go to www.maralevi.com and contribute whatever you feel you can. At the very least, in exchange for your contribution, I'll give you a copy of my new CD. If you'd like to give more, there are other goodies in store. More about that later.

Now I'm off to a job interview because this computer doesn't pay for itself!
Can't wait to talk to you more,
Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!